German Chocolate Cupcakes
These cupcakes were conceived the Friday before my dad's 60th birthday. German chocolate cake is his favorite, so I set out to make a healthier version. I have to say I am very pleased with how this recipe turned out. They are much healthier than the original recipe and they still taste AMAZING. You know how some "healthier" desserts taste, well healthier. These don't. At least I don't think they do. But please, try them out for yourself and let me know what you think! =)
Prep time: 50 minutes
Bake time: 18-30 minutes
Servings: 60 mini cupcakes or 18 regular cupcakes
2 T. Lemon Juice
1 cup coconut milk
3 Flax eggs (3 T. flax meal + 9 T. water)
1/3 cup walnut oil
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup stevia
4 oz. German chocolate baking bar
1 t. vanilla
2 cups oat flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 T. coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut milk
8 oz. of Deglet Noor dates
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup coconut flakes
2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the lemon juice and coconut milk in a small bowl. In another small bowl mix 3 T. flax meal and 9 T. water to make the flax eggs. Set both bowls aside for 5 minutes.
2) Break the chocolate bar apart into smaller squares. Put the broken chocolate pieces in a large microwaveable bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, remove bowl and stir chocolate then microwave an additional 30 seconds. Remove bowl from microwave again, then stir chocolate until the squares completely melt.
3) Add the walnut oil and applesauce to the melted chocolate then stir together.
4) Next stir the stevia and coconut sugar into the chocolate mixture. Then add the vanilla and the flax eggs.
5) Stir in the lemon/coconut milk into the chocolate mixture.
6) In a separate bowl combine the flour , baking soda, and salt. Then add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir together with a whisk.
7) For regular size cupcakes: evenly divide the batter into a paper lined cupcake pan. Makes 18 regular cupcakes.
For mini cupcakes: Use a Tablespoon to dip batter into cupcake holders. Makes 60 mini cupcakes.
8) Bake at 350F. Bake regular cupcakes for 30 minutes. Or bake mini cupcakes for 18-20 minutes.
While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting:
9) Blend the 8oz. of Deglet Noor dates, 3/4 cup coconut milk, and 1 t. vanilla in a blender on low speed until dates are chopped up really well. Mixture will be chunky.
10) Heat 2 T. of coconut oil on medium heat. Then pour in the blended ingredients and stir together.
11) Remove mixture from heat, then stir in the 2/3 cup coconut flakes and 2/3 cup chopped nuts.
Once the cupcakes are finished cooking, let them cool and then frost!
Note: If you make the regular cupcakes you will have extra frosting leftover. No need to fret, because the frosting can easily be consumed by the spoonful. :D If you made the mini cupcakes, you will use all the frosting.