Grandma's Homemade Bread
My grandma makes the best homemade bread! Hands down. I have so many fond memories of going to my grandma's house and being welcomed with the fresh aroma of bread baking in the oven. It's hard to beat: fresh, homemade bread. And this recipe is really pretty simple and quick for a bread recipe. It requires only 6 ingredients and can be ready from start to finish in a little over 2 hours (including rising and cooking time)!
-1 & 1/4 cup warm water
-1 package of yeast
-1 T. honey
-1 T. oil
-1/4 t. salt
-2 & 3/4 cup of white whole wheat flour (1/2 white flour, 1/2 whole wheat flour)
1) Heat up water in microwave until it is warm, approximately 35 seconds.
2) Stir in honey and yeast into warm water. Then add the oil and salt.
3) Next add flour, in 1/2 cup increments, until the dough is no longer sticky.
4) Place dough in a bread pan that has been lightly oiled and coated with flour.
5) Cover dough with a dish towel and let rise for 1 & 1/2 hours.
6) Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until the top is a light golden brown.
7) Remove from oven and brush top of loaf with oil (I used an olive oil based butter spread).
8) Loosen edges of loaf from pan with a dull knife then empty loaf out of pan unto a cooling rack.
9) Cool for 10-15 minutes, or as long as you can resist the homemade bread's tempting aroma.
Makes: 1 loaf